Monday, September 21, 2009

Jesus Music and friends



A couple of days ago I wrote about all the old Jesus Movement music records I found. Remembering music and friends from the Jesus Movement I mentioned the 77’s record Ping Pong Over the Abyss.

An evening later my husband and I sat down at the Tower cafĂ©, one of our favorite hang outs. After sitting down I looked over at the person sitting caddy-corner from me. Wouldn’t you know it was Mark Tootle, one of the original 77s musicians, and his wife Traci. He is now music Director at the Baptist Church down town.

I don’t think we stopped talking to take a breath. We covered the old days, the Jesus movement music, and yes, the book of Revelation, and what ever happened to Aaron Smith? Now I have his telephone number I will be calling. Picture from Penny Juncker's facebook photo

Anyway the conversation led me to more records on the internet. This is from Ping Pong Over the Abyss. "denomination blues"(original music by Ry Cooder)


5 comments:

robert austell said...

Hi Viola,

Do you happen to have any recordings of the Pat Terry Group?

I've been looking for a recording of "I Can't Wait to See Jesus" and can't find it anywhere on the Internet. I think my parents had the LP when I was growing up, but it is long-gone by now.

Even on Pat Terry's site, he says the record company has that song and album on lockdown (nor does he seem interested in his old music any more).

Viola Larson said...

Hi Robert,
No I don't sorry. A funny thing happened when I pasted this posting into facebook your question showed up. So maybe some one there will see it and know about the record.

If you look at my friends on facebook you will see the name Dave Hollandsworth. He has hundreds of pictures of Jesus Music people and knows a great deal about them. If you contact him he might know.

robert austell said...

Thanks, Viola!

Alan said...

That's a great piece. I had forgotten about this group.

steve scott said...

`Denomination Blues' is by Washington Phillips. I think you'll find versions of the original recordings on youtube