Saturday, September 12, 2009

I didn't keep my promise


Okay, I know I said I would be good today. Anyway that is what I told some friends, both those I went with, and those I ate with the other night. But who could be quiet. Well, I guess most but I couldn't. I know some of the past, I know some of the present, I know what the future might bring. So I could not be quiet.

Today at the Presbyterian Women's workshop on the Horizon's Bible Study at San Francisco Theological Seminary with Dr. Mary Mikhael the author presenting I simply felt discouraged. I went with two good friends, one from my church Fremont Presbyterian Church, and the other from Peace Presbyterian Church.

When Mikhael started referring to the Hezbollah as a resistance group which simply formed to rid Lebanon of the Israeli occupation, it was too much. When she suggested that the only reason Israel invaded Lebanon in 2006 was because Hezbollah kidnapped two soldiers my burden of knowing the truth was just too much. She opened the session for comments and I entered that door.

Hezbollah shot rockets into Israeli towns; they not only kidnapped two soldiers but also killed at least ten others on that day. And the story is also, as usual, very complex.

And only a resistance group? This is in their charter:

"The Necessity for the Destruction of Israel:"Our primary assumption in our fight against Israel states that the Zionist entity is aggressive from its inception, and built on lands wrested from their owners, at the expense of the rights of the Muslim people. Therefore our struggle will end only when this entity is obliterated. We recognize no treaty with it, no cease fire, and no peace agreements, whether separate or consolidated."

Later Mikhael lifted up the booklet Steadfast Hope. A representative from Israel/Palestine Mission Network was selling it just outside the door in the church. That is the booklet I have been blogging about for several weeks. It is the one that encourages the reader to believe that the Jewish people who immigrated to Israel are not really Jewish but only children of converts. It is the booklet that insists that the Israel lobby and other Jewish groups control the media in the United States.

Because I am weary, because tomorrow is Sunday, a day for the body of Christ to gather for worship I am just going to finish this with a song I like and then, perhaps, write on it some more later. But I have to admit I did not keep my promise.



1 comment:

Pastor Victor Styrsky said...

Isaiah 62:6-7
You who call on the LORD, give yourselves no rest, and give God no rest till He establishes Jerusalem and makes her the praise of the earth.

You are just being obedient dear Viola.

Your rest is yet to come.