Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Something Wicked This Way Comes

A new headline for the Sacramento Bee, CMT artistic director quits in fallout from Prop. 8 support by Marcus Crowder.

See also:
Prop. 8 victors upset by personal attacks by Bee writer, Jennifer Garza. A family Ice Cream spot, Leatherby Family Creamery that my family, when the children were small, use to enjoy, is mentioned in this piece. The owner, a Catholic who gave to proposition 8, has also been targeted by bloggers.

To add to this I saw this video on
anglicantv.org last night

"
A least Jesus warned us this would happen one day."

I thought I was finished with this post, but found I had something else to say. I don't believe all of the gay community agrees with all that is happening in these links. I believe that many in the gay community may be surprised by the actions of some of their fellow compatriots. But the truth is unrepentant sin of any kind be it greed, lying or adultery, whatever only escalates with time. There is One who can fix all of this, Jesus Christ, who went to the cross for all of our sins.
Pray for California

3 comments:

Alan said...

Yes because having a "business has been targeted by bloggers" is so, so, so much worse than having people vote away your right to marry.

An odd position, given that I've seen this blog "target" all sorts of people. In the last few posts you've targeted Davis Community Church pastors and session, John Shuck, and the President-Elect.

Good enough for you, but not others, it seems. Tell me, since when was freedom of speech repealed for gay people? The list of rights being revoked for gay people seems to be growing daily. I was wondering, could you provide me with a list, please?

Viola Larson said...

Hmm Alan,
It seems to me I was writing about people being put on a blacklist so that others could see their name, profession and address and not hire them or use the employer who did hire them.

And, oh, about (the video) an old lady and a reporter being physically harassed.

Alan said...

Well, you didn't actually respond to the issues raised in my comment, but anyway...

First of all, a correction: It was the Yes on 8 people who have compiled lists of who donated to the campaign, and published them on the web. If you're annoyed by that, you should be annoyed at them.

http://mormonsfor8.com/

Seems like a pretty boneheaded move to me. But then so is voting for Proposition 8. I guess pride goeth before a fall.

And, as I commented in your previous post, as long as it is completely legal for a private employer to fire LGBT people simply on the basis of sexual orientation, then it seems to me that there's no reason that a private employer shouldn't be able to fire someone for supporting Prop 8. After all, as I am always told by folks on your side, when I bring up employment non-discrimination policies, any employer should be able to hire or fire anyone for any reason at any time. If you agree with that statement, then you cannot have a problem in this situation.

Now if it were learned that a non-profit theater company in California had, on staff, a person who supported Prop 8, I have very little doubt that the LGBT community would boycott that theater company. Given arts funding being the way it is, and given that the arts community is strongly supported by the LGBT community, I have no doubt that such a boycott would have put a small theater company like that out of business. So then, the folks who run the company were simply being responsible business owners. I'm sure that's an argument you would use if the shoe were on the other foot.

As for someone being physically harassed, any violence of any kind is wrong. Just because a slim majority of voters of California have decided to attack LGBT families, does not excuse violence of any kind.