Sunday, November 30, 2008

Hail Him the Lord of Years, and Lord of many revivals 2


This is a continuation of my posting Hail Him the Lord of Years, and Lord of many revivals . I intend to pepper these posts in and out of my other postings. I hope these particular stories become a catalyst of longing for the work that God might do among us, bringing renewal and revival.

But God works in his own good time. I remember reading that the family of
Corrie Ten Boom prayed for the Jewish people for a generation before God used them in a wonderful way to give safe keeping to some Jewish people in the midst of the Nazi years. And I also remember that Christians, in what is now Germany, prayed for a hundred years for the Church to be renewed before Martin Luther appeared on the scene. The story of the Church is always the story of dying and renewing.

When my husband, Brad, and I first began going to a church in the midst of the Jesus Movement, the church called
Warehouse Ministries, was small but growing. We brought growth. With our six children the Sunday school jumped to twenty people. Within a year there were several hundred children in Sunday school. This was God's doing. No one had a good explanation.

Perhaps the best human explanation was the emptiness that the hippie and activist young people, mostly in California, were experiencing. Earlier, before attending Warehouse, Brad and I were visiting Los Angeles. Our friends suggested that we all go to a church in Costa Mesa called Calvary Chapel. They told us it was a new Church that was exploding with young people.

We were amazed. I still remember that the first person we sat behind on Sunday morning had on overalls without a shirt. Most of the young people wore the clothes of the "love" generation. Which included long hair for both the guys and gals. And there were many beards.

We attended the Bible study in the evening. The huge sanctuary was filled and outside on the patio young people sat anywhere they could find a place, listening by means of loud speakers. They sat with their Bibles and paper and pen writing as the pastor, Chuck Smith taught. We went home to Sacramento praying that the Lord would do the same for the young people of our area. We did not know that God had already begun his work among the hippie generation of our area.

First Brad attended a concert at Warehouse. The group "Love Song" was playing. Next we attended together and I don't remember who the musicians were. But a string on the piano broke and Brad, a piano tuner, offered to come back and fix it. That was the beginning of our time at Warehouse Ministries.

I am placing a video of the first beginnings of the group "Love Song." I am placing it here because of the testimony of one of the members. (I know! Kathryn Kuhlman! But she comes with the video) Anyway, the video gives a real understanding of what God was doing through Jesus Christ in the hearts of the young people.



A better music video by "Love Song" is this one with Chuck Girard as the lead. The song is "Two Hands."

2 comments:

Barb said...

Viola
I have fond memories of Calvary Chapel's Saturday Night concerts. It's where Christian Rock became real for me - and made christianity more palatable. (sad but true)
Keith Green, Daniel Amos, Larry Norman. It was a bit intimidating to hear testimonies of ex-drug dealers/prostitutes/addicts coming to the Lord, seeing their radical conversions and then looking at my mundane (seemingly) conversion and I saw no change - I began questioning my story and I don't know how many time I went forward during Chuck's altar calls.
Barb Moody
Sparta, IL

Viola Larson said...

Hi Barb,
Your comments are really interesting. We also had Keith Green and Daniel Amos at our concerts at Warehouse Ministries. I don't think we had Larry Norman.

In a way that is sad that you had to feel your conversion was somehow less because you didn't have such a big change. Their symptoms were just bigger than yours or mine.

C.S. Lewis writes about that somewhere; how we all come from different dispositions and different stages of sinfulness. He was writing how we may think someone is growing very slow in their Christian walk when in reality they have traveled farther down the road because of where they started.

Sacramento, CA