Tuesday, November 20, 2007







This isn't about thanksgiving, but I am thankful I found it. As I was looking for a song among my husbands hymnbook collection I discovered this on the inside page of one of the hymnals.


I Am Your Hymn Book

Next to the Bible, I should be your most
treasured book.

Hold me in your hand on Sunday when you
prepare to sing.

Let your heart listen to what has been
enshrined within me.

Hear the songs and the triumphant words of
the martyrs dying for a faith the same
as yours.

Give heed to the prayers of devout men who
have found the heart of God.

Follow the missionaries of the Cross on their
way to the ends of the earth.

Listen to the great minds of the Church as
they share with you the deep mysteries
of the plan and purpose of the eternal God.

Sit at the feet of the musicians and poets, of
the saints and the redeemed in all lands
and times, of all those who have seen the
hunger in the heart unsatisfied except
through song.

All these I have treasured .....for you.

I am your hymn book.


(Taken from-Tabernacle Hymns Number Five, Tabernacle Publishing Co. 1953)

2 comments:

Walter L. Taylor said...

Hello Viola,
Walter Taylor here. Thanks for visiting my blog and for the good word.

For all the folks who love to quote Barth's "Bible in one hand and the newspaper in the other," I know of one of his letters to a pastor where he tells him to read the Bible and his hymnbook!

I put up something on my blog about Baltimore's recent overture. I will be doing more with it over time, I think.
Blessings,
Walter

Viola Larson said...

Hi Walter,
I will check out your post. I should put a link to your blog on mine and I will if not soon right after Thanksgiving. Do you know the reference for the Barth quote?