Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Good News From Afar: My Missionary Friends in Thailand


On Oct. the 17th I wrote about my missionary friends in Thailand, Good News From Afar . I wrote that I would start posting their newsletters but "because of some of the places they travel and because of the wonderful Christians they minister to, who live in suffering places, I cannot post their names. But this will give others a chance to read the wonderful stories they send and to pray for another part of the Church."

Here is the second posting.

Ministry to Children

These past months, I have been joining another missionary and some of her Thai workers in a ministry to the children’s cancer ward at the University Hospital here in ChiangMai. Hospital conditions are very crowded with 12 to 15 patients per room, plus one or both of their parents who are there to watch after them. Family members are expected to be the main caregivers, and they spend day and night with their children, even sleeping on straw mats beside or under the child’s bed. It is incredibly tiring and stressful for them. The children are at the hospital to receive IV chemotherapy, so they are often feeling ill from the side effects of the treatment. The objective of our visits is to provide a much needed diversion from the daily stress and boredom of being in the hospital situation..

Our time usually involves a song, a story or puppet show and a small handicraft that the children can do. The presentation of Christianity has to be a bit low key, but there are opportunities to share more openly. Christmas is a time when it is acceptable to give a Christian presentation. We actually have greater freedom here than we would in similar situations back home. Sometimes there is opportunity to pray with the parents or patients if the situation allows. This last week I met a 12 year old girl who attends a church in a small town about five hours away, where we worked years ago. I was able to pray with her, which was an encouragement, since she is at the hospital with her unbelieving father. Her mother who is a Christian had to remain at home to watch over the younger siblings.


Your heart certainly goes out to these youngsters and their families. It makes you more thankful for the life and health that we enjoy, and remember not to take it for granted. If Jesus were to come to ChiangMai, I think that we would see him in the hospital halls.

Please pray for continued open doors. The hospital staff has mentioned that they appreciate our efforts. Pray that we will be sensitive to each individual, and speak words that bring encouragement and life.

9 comments:

Noelle said...

Hi Viola,

I just wanted you to know that I *finally* got a chance to respond to your comment on the NNPCW blog. Sorry it took me so long!

Many blessings,
Noelle

Viola Larson said...

Thanks Noelle,
I guess you may already know I commented back to you.

Blessings back at you.

will said...

Thanks for posting this. I really appreciate these.

(Among other things, it makes a very good change of pace from the other necessary issues that come up.)

Viola Larson said...

Will,
For me its getting to hear the gospel as it should be given without all the extra baggage that it gets loaded with in the US.

Jesus' Gal said...

I am joining a short missionary trip to Thailand this summer and am learning Thai now.

May God bless His work in Thailand!

Viola Larson said...

Hi Koala Gal,
I am so glad you visited my blog. I will pray for your trip to Thailand. I looked at your blog also and I really liked it, although I couldn't read some of it.
Blessing in Jesus Christ

Jesus' Gal said...

Hi Viola!
I have just got your message now!
You have got many insightful posts up here!

I'd check them out again!
Cheers!

Merry birth of Jesus Christ!

Jesus' Gal said...

Hey Viola,
Any more news from your missionary friends in Thailand?
How long have they been working there?

My church has sent out two this Nov, and they are learning Thai there now.

So do ur friend also speak Thai?

Blessings!

Viola Larson said...

Hi Koala Gal,
I just now saw your new posts. My friends have been in Thailand for many years. And yes they speak very good Thai. It is so nice to have you visit my blog. Please, if you can, tell me about your church.