Thursday, April 21, 2011

Good Friday

Redemption
Having been Tenant long to a rich Lord’
Not thriving, I resolved to be bold,
And to make a suit unto him, to afford
A new small rented lease, and cancell th’ old.

In heaven at his manour I him sought:
They told me there, that he was lately gone
About some land, which he had dearly bought
Long since on earth, to take possession.

I straight return’d , and knowing his great birth,
Sought him accordingly in great resorts;
In cities, theatres, gardens, parks and courts:
At length I heard a ragged noise and mirth

Of theeves and murderers: there I him espied,
Who straight, Your suit is granted, said & died.

By George Herbert (in the English of the 17th century)

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I love this poem! Thanks for posting it.

Debbie Berkley
Bellevue, WA

Viola Larson said...

Thanks Debbie, I have loved that poem for a long time: )