Thursday, October 22, 2009

Politics & Christology my apologia



A friend asked me several days ago, “why was I writing on politics so much when the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A) needed good Christological theology.” Good question. And sometimes I feel unfaithful, as though I haven’t been writing enough about Jesus, his cross, the wonderful salvation he bestows on us, the righteousness he gives that is his and his alone. But are political issues like the State of Israel, or the ordination of practicing homosexuals disconnected from Christology?
-
Hardly. The homosexual issue is so clear I won’t even go there. Faithfulness to Christ includes faithfulness to his word, both the Old and New Testaments. But what about the State of Israel? What about the Jewish People? How do they even begin to connect to Christology?

First of all models for living out correct Christology, that is following Jesus Christ as Lord, while living in the midst of institutions which foster anti-Semitism, are abundant in the past century, not the least of which is Corrie ten Boon and Dietrich Bonheoffer.

Perhaps Presbyterians don’t remember or know anything about Corrie ten Boom. She wrote a book in 1971 entitled the Hiding Place. It is the story of her family and how they hid Jewish people in their home in Amsterdam during the Nazi occupation. Corrie lost all of her family in concentration camps. She was also a prisoner but was freed due to a clerical error. The title of her book has a double meaning. There was a hiding place in their home, and there is a hiding place in God because of Jesus Christ.

One of the important things to know about the Booms was their devotion to both Jesus Christ and the Jewish people. The family had participated in prayer meetings for almost a hundred years praying for the Jewish people before the time of the Nazis. God gives us our deepest desires, centers them in himself and then uses us in that place he has prepared for us. That is never outside of, can never be outside of, our relationship to Jesus Christ.

Dietrich Bonheoffer is undoubtedly well known to Presbyterians as well as most mainline church members and also known to many Evangelicals. The Cost of Discipleship, his most well known book is read by both conservatives and liberals. One of the most prominent members of the Confessing Church, Bonheoffer spoke out the most about what was happening to the Jewish people in Germany and elsewhere.

Although he was finally executed for his part in the plot to kill Hitler, he was actually jailed for his part in helping Jews cross the borders of Germany.

One small but excellent book, Christ the Center, is the restructured notes of Bonheoffer’s students taken during his lectures on Christology in the year 1933. Bonheoffer was very concerned with the fate of the Jewish people and with Christology.

But the connection with Christology and the State of Israel, which Bonheoffer did not live to see, has to do with that safe place that God has provided for them. If Christ is God, and he is, and if God is sovereign, which he is, then the State of Israel is a part of his plan for our day. I don’t think we can biblically say what will happen to Israel as a state in this our time, but I do think we can say, biblically, what may happen to the nations who are intent on her destruction if they continue their course.

Still the theological connection between the Jewish people, Israel and Christology is best explained by Arthur C. Cochrane in the chapter “The Message of Barmen for Contemporary Church History,” in The German Church Struggle and the Holocaust.[1] He is looking at some of Karl Barth’s thoughts about what was the most devastating theological heresies affecting theology during the Nazi era.

Barth at first honed in on the idea of a second revelation given by the German Christians set alongside God’s revelation in Christ. (And that is very important) Yet, Cochrane points out that in a sermon given in Dec.10, 1933 on Romans 15:5-13 “it is evident that he [Barth] had come to see the Jewish question as a question of faith in Jesus Christ and that post Christum is identical with Israel ante Christum.”

Cochrane goes on to write about those who organized the Pastor’s Emergency League and how they understood, as they resisted the Aryan paragraph, that there existed a unity between the Jews and the Church, as he puts it, “’Salvation is from the Jews’—not only two thousand years ago but in every generation as well.”

But some of Cochrane’s words as he explains the connections are profound.

“It dawned upon them [Christian scholars concerned with the Holocaust] that the Jewish question is the question about Jesus Christ, that the spirit of Antisemitism is the spirit of antichrist, and where the Jews are hated and persecuted, the faithful followers of the Jew, Jesus of Nazareth, will also be hated and persecuted. They realized that in the last analysis the Church Struggle and World War II were waged because of Israel and that in spite of the Holocaust, Israel could not be annihilated.

Cochrane quotes Jeremiah 31:35-36. “Thus says the Lord, who gives the sun for light by day and the fixed order of the moon and stars for light by night, who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar—the Lord of hosts is his name: If the fixed order departs from before me says the Lord, then shall the descendents of Israel cease from being a nation before me forever.”

I believe that is a complete apologia. The connection between the Jewish people and the State of Israel is a cord of steel. The connection between the Jewish people and Christians is unbreakable. As that spirit of Antisemitism and antichrist arise in both the mainline churches and the surrounding countries of Israel I will be writing about politics as well as Christology.

[1] The book The German Church Struggle and the Holocaust is a collection of essays given at a conference by that name in 1974. The essays are by Christians, Jews and even a few pagans. The one by Elie Wiesel, “Talking and Writing and Keeping Silent,” is worth the price of the book if you can find it.

11 comments:

Abundancetrek said...

OK, this post is so alarming to me that I must respond. I too easily said I would leave you alone.

I like your spunk!

I agree with you totally that there is a connection between Christology and politics. Just like you, I blog about spirituality and politics pretty regularly.

I am alarmed because I simply don't understand how you can read the same Bible and love the same reformed tradition I do and come out so completely opposite of me on so many issues, particularly Israel and homosexuality.

I am alarmed because I see the walls on both sides of the theological political divide getting higher and higher. I see this as very dangerous. I see the possibility of Civil War in the USA if we don't find ways to lower the walls of suspicion and misunderstanding within the nation and within the church.

And so I will try to understand your position and I will hope that you will want to understand mine.

I won't deal with homosexuality in this comment. We have already had some conversation about Israeli policies and that's where I will seek to have a conversation once again.

Let me ask you the question once again that it appears you are avoiding:

Do you support the colonies (settlements) the Israelis have built throughout the occupied territories? I really want a simple Yes or No answer.

I don't think the colonies ever should have been built in the first place. The Palestinians have no need to agree to anything when it comes to these illegal colonies (settlements). These ilegal colonies (settlements) should be dismantled and the colonists (settlers) sent home ASAP. I can not understand how you or anyone in Israel or the USA or anywhere else on the planet can support these illegal colonies.

love, john + abundancetrek.com + "The day will come when, after harnessing space, the winds, the tides and gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, humankind will have discovered fire." -- Teilhard de Chardin

Viola Larson said...

John,
I have an all day elder's training session tomorrow and I have been blogging tonight. I will answer your not so simple question Sunday afternoon. Please take the time to listen to Elie Wiesel's speech I put on my last posting.

Abundancetrek said...

In search of common ground, I'm wondering if you have seen the powerful documentary PRAYING WITH LIOR about a Jewish boy with Down Syndrome. The highlight is his Bar Mitzvah. Here's a review: http://www.spiritualityandpractice.com/films/films.php?id=17809

love, john + www.abundancetrek.com + "My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind." -- Albert Einstein

Viola Larson said...

First of all John, I don’t understand why the post is so alarming.

But first of all going to the subject you didn’t want to go to, after all Christendom has for two-thousand years held the position that the practice of homosexuality is sin, as I do now. So why that part should surprise or alarm you I don’t know. It seems to me that your position on homosexual practice should alarm me, and it does.

But the question and thoughts that you had on Israel and the Palestinians, my thoughts are complicated and I can’t give you a straight answer as it seems you can’t give me one back about Hamas and Hezbollah.

On the Settlements, of course if all things were taken care of, that is Hamas and Hezbollah would agree that Israel has a right to exist and would quite lobbing rockets into her cities than it would be time to talk about the settlements. And I think then a lot of them would be dismantled. Probably not all. And I think that would be a good thing to dismantle them.

But how can one even begin to talk about that when all the countries around Israel want to annihilate her. After all Israel pulled her settlements out of Gaza and that didn’t change anything it only made it worse.

You don’t seem at all concerned with Hamas’ threats to Israel. And that bothers me.

And let me get to your comments about walls of suspicion and misunderstanding. That is a strange way to put the two subjects I focused on. You think practicing homosexuals should be ordained I do not. Where is the misunderstanding?

You think Israel should get rid of her settlements and pull down her wall before Hamas agrees to her right to exists and insists that’ its members quit sending rockets into Israel. I don’t. Where is the misunderstanding in that?

Your stance is just as strong as mine. So who is going to start the civil war, you or me? Well, it isn’t going to be me because while I believe in standing for what I believe in and writing and working for what I believe in, I believe my only safe place is Jesus Christ. Not in some kind of civil war-I just thought that was a strange thought on your part.

Viola Larson said...

And no I haven't seen the movie I will have to look into it. I love movies as well as books.

Abundancetrek said...

The Christian Church accepted slavery until very recently. So, just because the Christian Church took a stand on an issue for many centuries doesn't make it right.

It is only in recent years that we have gained a more realistc understanding of homosexuality. It is clearly an orientation found throughout the animal kingdom and something which we can learn to accept and even appreciate. Humanity does keep learning.

The Bible is a wonderful book but it is not infallible. We must always humbly work at discerning what is truely inspired and what is culturally-conditioned.

I am disappointed but not surprised that you couldn't give me what I believe to be the only right answer about the illegal Israeli colonies. They are wrong and their existence has nothing to do with the political positions Hamas takes. Wrong is wrong and must be corrected. Israel has a right to defend itself but no right to illegal and immoral colonization.

I believe you and most Americans live in a huge bubble of denial and misinformation regarding the tragedy of Israeli occupation of The West Bank. The lack of American or Israeli journalists living and working in the West Bank speaks volumes. The truth simply is not getting through. I am very disappointed in my country as the government and the media collude to keep most Americans completely misinformed.

We are supporting a completely illegal colonization of land which does not belong to Israel. It really is as simple as that.

Many Israelis and many Jews have also come to believe that the colonies are illegal and immoral and must be dismantled. One can be pro-Israel and believe that the colonies must be dismantled because they never should have been built in the first place.

love,
john

Viola Larson said...

John, may I suggest,my posting href="About God, homosexuality and animals!" if you have not read it.

Viola Larson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Viola Larson said...

Okay I have forgotten how to do that see http://naminghisgrace.blogspot.com/2009/07/about-god-homosexuality-and-animals.html

Abundancetrek said...

I did read that post and I found a fascinating discussion with my friend Bob and others contributing. We all have a lot to learn about everything and I try to be open but I am convinced that homosexuality does indeed need to be accepted and affirmed. My very wise and profound Episcopal friend John Bartle just wrote a post on the need of the church to accept homosexuality on his very new blog and it is very thoughtful and challenging. Go to the October 26 post at Hans Sachs.

Viola Larson said...

John,
I read the posting that you linked to. I am sorry, I know you like it a lot, but I find that it carries no help at all. And in fact, I got the impression that the author tends to ground the root of all love in erotic love. I believe the Christian mustt ground their love and 'loves' in in God as he is made known in Holy Scripture. That kind of love means it includes obedience to God even when we don't understand.