Sunday, October 12, 2008

A special blessing


I often experience events that I was not expecting; events that in my forties I never even thought about. The reason is both my Father and Mother died in their early fifties when I was in my early twenties. They barely knew their grandchildren and never knew a great grandchild. So I find it a special blessing, a gift from God, to announce the birth of my first great grandchild.

On Saturday, October 11, Molly Simone was born to Melissa and Spencer. She is a beautiful tiny baby. (Pictures will come)

I once wrote a poem for my grandchildren but it will serve for my new great granddaughter as well:

Grandchildren

You come, a bright tossed bag of gifts.
You are strawberry tinted and willowy,
You are jumping, jerking, whirling, spouting,
with flat stretched out hands.
You drop like pearls,
children from children,
diamonds from gold,
precious treasure from gathered wealth.


You are passive and quiet and bright and righteous,
son of your father, child of your mother.
You are darkened and winsome,
dancing on dreams of differences.
You are tiny and your voice sings like a bird.
You are moving beyond my carefulness
to kingdoms I will not see,
planting stones to glimmer in the light
to the borders of Paradise.


You are running, playing,
all in order - the beauty of quietness,
the psalms of peace, a peasant girl with trains.
You are active and busy with moving, arranging,
rearranging and changing the world; you cry, forging your way.

You reach with wonder into the past,
a knight in a castle,
with cowboy boots to steady the armor.


You are silent, a smile, of memory, you fade into my lost world.
He will bring you home again erasing our tears.


We are waiting
and here with arms outstretched.
You are gifts, children of children,
diamonds from gold,
precious treasure from gathered wealth
and I am here
with arms
out stretched.


You can also find this poem on my web site Naming The Grace along with a few pictures of my grandchildren although they are old pictures. The top right hand picture with the long haired strawberry blond being baptized with her siblings and the bottom picture of the little girl in a white hat making a mess with paint with her sister is the mother of Molly Simone.

6 comments:

Barb said...

Congratulations. That is something to shout about.

Dave Moody said...

Great news Vi. Congrats!

Viola Larson said...

Thanks Barb & Dave

Adel Thalos said...

Congratulations. Many blessings upon you, your family. You have been abundantly blessed with amazing riches.

Suzanne said...

They are special! While God has no grandchildren aren't we blessed that He has given us grandchildren? My prayer is that we might make a difference in their lives! Enjoy your many blessings. God Bless you and yours.

Viola Larson said...

Thank you Suzanne & Adel,

Suzanne, I did enjoy the pictures of your grandchildren you posted--I don't know if I commented, I should have!