Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Surprising thoughts of a ten year old


Up-date! Okay I am in trouble this child is ten! If you had seventeen grandchildren you might make that mistake too!

It’s surprising the concepts and understanding a TEN year old child can have, as well as the compassion. One of my granddaughters sent me a get well card she made today.

Like Sherman’s march to the sea the shingles have been marching steadily across the upper part of the right side of my face for the last several days coming a bit too close to one of my eyes for comfort. If any thing I write sounds strange just blame it on the steroids and the pain pills!

Anyway, the card: The front page has a beautiful traced leaf, and the words “life has good things.”

On the inside left page she has drawn pictures. There is a lightening streak with the word “pain,” and a broken ring with the words “divorce.” (No we are not getting a divorce no matter how badly I look at the moment!)

There is fire with the words “anger” and a person falling down into the middle of some water with the words “loneliness.”

There is a rose falling apart with the words “ended love” and a tear drop with “sadness.” There are a lot of dark lines and scary eyes with the word “scariness.” And finally right in the middle are the words “But Life has bad things.”

But on the right-hand page are the words “And I know God can help you through it all! Get well soon!

And just for fun on the backside it says Egg Cards.

So I would like to share. For anyone else out there that has a rebel Sherman marching through your life at the moment may the Lord bring comfort your way.

8 comments:

Barb said...

That's a lot of wisdom for an 8 year old. I wish I had some of that. Godspeed on your recovery and I hope you are doing what needs to be done in order to make that happen - rest and receive from others. Thanks for your faithfulness and passing on of wisdom to the next generation.

robert austell said...

Viola, your granddaughter's card helped ME this morning. I know she is a delight and joy to you.

I have suffered through shingles and pray for your protection, recovery, and healing!

Robert

Viola Larson said...

Thank You,
I was Just Thinking and Robert. I am doing what needs to be done and getting a lot of rest because there is not a lot else I can do. And thanks for your prayers.

Suzanne said...

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with shingles. It's a reminder for those of us who are "finishing" to look into the shingles vacine. I guess you still have a 50% chance of getting them but my doctor indicated when "he got to the age" he was going to take the shot.
As for your granddaughter I think she has insight far beyond her years. What a blessing! Hope you're feeling better soon.

Viola Larson said...

Suzanne,
The doctor actually gave me a shot along with all the other medicine because it is suppose to also help with the pain. And my husband had to get a vaccine for chicken pox because he has never had them and you can get them from somebody who has shingles. Talk about sleeping with the enemy : ) Poor guy.

will said...

I wonder if she'd believe it was a side-effect of the medicine?

Although, in almost any other circumstance, thinking someone 20% younger than they were would be considered a good thing.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Viola Larson said...

Her mother (my daughter) says she is going to start checking my posts for the next couple of weeks : )

Rev Kim said...

Praying that you are feeling better and healed soon.

And I needed those words of wisdom from your granddaughter today!