Thursday, June 5, 2008

Sharing the African American's Joy for just a weekend: Please!


Thabiti Anyabwile at Pure Church has posted an article, "Seven Reasons Conservative Whites and White Evangelicals Should Stop and Enjoy Obama's Nomination ." I hope many of my friends including members of the Consistory will read this article. In fact, since all of the members of the consistory are very reformed and the blog I am featuring belongs to an African American (very) Reformed Pastor I keep hoping for some exchanges of comments.

The Article begins:

"A dear, dear friend gave me a ride to O'Hare airport this past week. He's a white brother, a precious saint, who takes great interest in the history of the Civil Rights Movement. I'm thinking he's read more and thought more about that history than I have. He from time to time asks me what I think about this or that aspect of African American history, culture, current events, etc.On the ride to the airport he asked me, "When reflecting on the significance of Barack Obama's run for president, how do you feel when your white brothers immediately start talking about abortion? Does that anger you? Do you feel like they just missed the point of your reflections altogether?"I thought for a moment. I don't think it angers me or frustrates me much. I think I'm mostly saddened by it. I'm saddened that for those moments brothers and sisters in Christ cannot or will not enter into my experience for a little while... just a little while... without asserting their own agenda. I generally think that a great opportunity is missed, an opportunity to see the world in wide screen rather than full screen, to get more into view instead of having the screen filled with a more limited picture. It's a loss for me and them."

And goes on:

"1. Rejoice with those who rejoice. A significant part of the Christian world is rejoicing in a landmark achievement. Obviously, not all the reasons for rejoicing are reasons everyone can share. "

And:

"2. Mourn with those who mourn. For most African Americans Christians, this is bitter sweet on at least two levels. First, there are the same laments that you have regarding Sen. Obama's position on moral issues like gay rights and abortion. Those positions are not widely shared among African-American Christians and cause something of a real dilemma for Bible-believing African Americans."

So please read starting here Pure Church.

5 comments:

Dave Moody said...

Peggy Noonan has an op/ed piece in in todays WSJ that begins similarly. Everyone should stop and savor the moment- democrat, republican, whatever race you are-- that Barack Obama stood in Alabama, and thanked Alabama for voting for him. A generation ago, german shepherds, and water hoses were used on African Americans during the civil rights march in Alabama. One generation ago.

Thanks for the heads up on a great piece.
dm

Viola Larson said...

Yes, Dave,
I can remember living a short time, as a young teenager, in Springdale Arkansas and seeing an African American family drive into a gas station. Everyone who worked there turned their back and walked away. When they drove to the other station the same thing happened.

This is a weekend to rejoice.

Bill Crawford said...

I have had the same thoughts. As I thought of it again today I thought, "maybe there is some hope in the details?" Let me explain.

The fact that many white americans do not pause to consider the color of Barak Obama's skin or the significance of his nomination due to his race but rather focus on his political policies maybe (oh God let it be true), just maybe many whites have no problem with his skin color.

However, this landmark day should be appreciated. I think both President Bush, and John McCain gave important acknowledgement to that reality and I am grateful to them for doing so.

Stephen Ley said...

Well said! I've been enjoying Pastor Anyabwile's ongoing posts on the Obama candidacy and, in a sense, living it through his eyes. I enjoy this blog too.

Grace and peace.

Viola Larson said...

Welcome Stephen,

I have a son with that name spelled that way. His picture is in the post above. I checked out your blog. Great blog.

Yes, seeing the candidacy of Obama through Anyabwile's eyes is a movement in empathy which all those who are white and orthodox must do. Thanks for commenting.