Sunday, October 14, 2007

A Cryptic Poem Because They Left Today



Someone recently wrote, “Earth would be better off without Revelation.” But it all seems to fit. Its metaphors are beautiful. Its promises complete.

Because this is the day they left.

You who read the Left Behind books,
This is how it really feels.
They are leaving today,
the soft, but steady strong ones,
the faithful and nurturing ones,
they who nurtured new pastors,
and stood before the Presbytery
and pleaded for His righteousness.

Not a secret rapture, but,
this is how it feels
this is what left behind means.
Facing the anti-Jesus, the ones
who give gifts and celebrate
and say “It will be a day just like all others when schismatics …
finally exit the denomination in a self-righteous huff.”

You who read the Left Behind books.
and believe them, more than the holy text,
Wait!
Look, there are three gathered, two in another place
and four around the altar in prayer,
and still a multitude singing praise,
with the Lamb in the midst.
Look! The red winged dragon is slinking out the back door,
his hat on crooked.

He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. (Rev. 3:5-6)


All quotes except Scripture are taken from “Shuck and Jive” at Friday Fivin' With My GalPals, and letters to the Editor on the Presbyterian Layman, “The PCUSA is moving ahead” by John Shuck.

2 comments:

Dave Moody said...

Vi,
Probably about the best response one can give. I suspect though, like chaff (Ps 1), he and his will get their just desserts- even under the sun. Lord have mercy.

Btw, love the links you have to Touchstone, etc...- 8th Day is in my home town. Whenever we return to visit my folks, B lets me have an 8th Day day. Although she keeps the credit cards. If you ever make a trip to Wichita to visit, let me know, I'll hook you up with a place to stay.

dm

Viola Larson said...

Dave,
what a small world-- I have been ordering from Eighth Day for a long time. Someone sent me a catalog--I don't know who.

I meant the poem more toward those I will miss in our Presbytery who voted to leave yesterday. And for the aloneness some of the rest of us will feel. Leaving or staying they are all God's saints.