Sunday, October 7, 2007

Blogs, Web Sites and Family

I planned on adding more blogs and web sites to my blog, but I tried to put them under several categories and couldn't figure out how. Since there may not be a way to do that I thought I would list them on the side anyway and then write a couple of posts explaining them.

So the first post will be about my family's blogs and web sites:

Speaking of this World belongs to my daughter Jenny McHenry. She has some wonderful posts on nature and the environment, great pictures too! She and Derek, her husband are the parents of six of my grandchildren. They attend Peace Presbyterian Church in Elk Grove, California.


Libellus Stellatus belongs to one of my Granddaughters. She is the oldest daughter of Jenny and Derek. Melissa is married to Spencer. She is an artist and writer and he is an actor; they were married in the summer of 2006. Here is a wonderful post she wrote about Jesus Christ . If you explore her blog you can find some of her art work. Such as this one. Melissa writes that she created this picture, with some anger, after reading about starving people.


You can also find some great pictures of Spencer swimming from Alcatraz to San Fransisco: The Previous Weekend In Photos The picture below is Melissa with her friend Kelly. They were modeling their wedding dresses for me in my living room.















Another family blog is a nephew's. Wesley's two blogs are Mary Worth and Me and Wanders In the Mary Worth one he uses pictures from the comic strip to express himself! I think I may hear about this.!

One of my sisters, Mary Kion, who is both an artist and a writer has several web sites. She is very interested in Western history including the history of trains. One of her web sites is dedicated to our Grandmother, Viola Butler Trotter. You can reach it here: Women Of The West. Mary also writes for Suite 101. You can find her profile there and the many stories she writes. One of her featured stories is about Johnny Cash and my father. Here is a picture of both my father and my mother: As you can see from the top of the picture it was taken in Bethany Missouri.


I also have a web site besides this blog. My web site is Naming the Grace. I write a lot on feminism and Wicca. I also have written quite a lot on various racists groups. One article I haven't listed anywhere else is: "Conversations On the Immense Journey: A Fictional Conversation on Evolution, Mysticism, Pantheism and God." I wrote this conversation between several mystics, including St John of the Cross and Loren Eiseley, (whom I really don't consider a mystic), for a class on Christian Mysticism. The teacher was into Teilhard de Chardin and she asked us to use him and Eiseley's article along with two other mystics. Since she also considered C.S. Lewis a mystic, I, of course, also used Lewis. I have changed the story a bit from the original one I wrote for class.


I am adding this late. Melissa's sister, Liz is a fantastic poet, with a lot of angst! But liveliness too. Her blog, which she hasn't written on for a while, is You Don't Even Know. Here is the picture off of it which is one of my favorite pictures. She is also a wonderful artist.

3 comments:

Dave Moody said...

Ok, you've got a totally interesting life, Vi. I really look forward to coffee with the Larsons.

dm

Wanders said...

My own shallowness is made abundantly apparent when Mary Worth and Me appears juxtaposed within your own wonderfully diverse and evocative blog, Viola! :-) Wonderful to see family I've never met. And I love the photo of Grandpa and Grandma. Now I need to go finish reading through your links!

Viola Larson said...

Wanders,
Your blog is not shallow! It is unique and interesting. In fact, I think it would be a good blog for teenagers to read to get a grip on their own relationships. And besides that its fun.

Dave, the Larsons are looking forward to having coffee with you too! Or dinner!