Sunday, September 30, 2007

Poems of Home in the Northern Hills of Missouri



Something Familiar


There is a certain sound
from inside a car passing
close to the edge
of a timber
in the cooling evening
on a country road.
It is a sound filled with crickets
and cicadas
and the swish of leaves
as the car comes near on a curve.
It is the sound of all the hidden creatures,
the nesting birds, heads bending under their wings.
It is the beginning silent sounds
of signs in the sky,
the stars and the fireflies. It is the sound of a home, not far away, down
the road apiece.
There is a porch around the house
with lights in the window,
and ham frying on the stove
with a familiar sizzle.



This poem I wrote ten years ago after finding an old letter written by my Grandmother. I left her spelling intact.


Community


An old letter found
written almost thirty years ago;
my grandparents to my parents
on the birth of my first child:
"So glad its over & a boy."

The news of the letter comes
clearing away three decades
of life, like so much underbrush-
"weve got our potatoes dug.
Had about- 13 bushell."

All the habits of Sacramento
recede into the rounded hills
of fertile memories and soils.
"The butter beans are gone till
they bloom again. We canned
19 pints & gave away a lot."


Once again I am shaped by
community- "Shure good Gertudes
came up Sadur & brought supper &
stayed all night." Surrounded by
the stays of those who care:
"Fays came over after supper."

Once again weather weaves reality
through windy storm. I
know again the mixture
of awe, the need for shelter, for others:
"A big cloud came up after we went
to bed- We got up & went to the cave.
Had quite a storm."



2 comments:

Dave Moody said...

Very similar- spelling and all- to life in this part of Southern IL. I can almost smell the humidity and cut grass when you write.

Have you read much Wendell Berry?

There is something about the 'spirituality of place' that is captured by certain authors. Faulkner (sp?), Flannery O'COnner, maybe even John Grisham, from a popular perspective.

thanks Vi- I'll be in Sacramento at the end of the month. Drop me an email, davemoody@mac.com, perhaps we can meet for a cup of coffee.

grace & peace,
dm

Viola Larson said...

Dave,

Yes, Wendell Berry is one of my favorite writers although I haven't read him for awhile. I went through a spell of reading Faulkner and O'Conner is, as far as I am concerned, one of the greats.

I don't know if you are familiar with Eugene Peterson's book "Take & Read: Spiritual Reading: An Annotated List." In it he lists books about place. He starts that chapter with the words, "The work of salvation is always local," and I agree.

I will e-mail you.