Friday, August 17, 2007

A Class in Berkeley, Redemptive Literature and J.R.R. Tolkien


I only took one class in Berkeley. It was through New College Berkeley which once was a part of the Graduate Theological Union and this class was a GTU class. Tragedy and Redemption in Literature, was taught by David Batstone, who is now Executive Editor of Sojourners magazine.

I enjoyed the class for several reasons. I traveled there every Thursday by train, often arriving late because trains are often late. But the trip was beautiful as the train traveled through the beautiful California countryside in the spring. Large white egrets could be seen in the wet grasslands and early planted rice fields which are always full of water. New foals ran in the spring green pastures with their mothers. At one point the train tracks hug the San Francisco Bay.

The class was filled with interesting people, writers, lawyers, hopeful Pastors to be, even a Catholic Priest. Batstone was/is a very good teacher and I enjoyed reading most of the books he assigned.

Still, several comments at the end of
Bill Crawford’s and my last posting started me thinking again about that class and about redemptive themes in literature. In our comments we were writing about being faithful to Jesus Christ and what that means. Toby Brown brought up J.R.R. Tolkien and his Lord of the Rings Trilogy. And the conversation went on from there with Bayou writing:

“I'm reading The Organic Church right now and one of the great points he makes is that before the battle of Helms Deep Aragorn asks Théoden to ride with him into battle, instead Théoden chooses to go to Helms Deep - which is nearly overwhelmed and at the last moment as the last door is about to be crushed Aragorn asks him again ‘Will you ride with me?’ And as they do the rider in White appears with the Morning Star and rides to their salvation.”

With that last comment, about the rider in white with the Morning Star, I thought how this is a redemptive/transcendent theme piercing like the Incarnation into the world of humanity. But too much of what we read in the GTU class found its redemptive themes in only human experience. Nothing cut in from outside the material universe.

We did read some short stories by Flannery O’Conner, and she is always writing about the Incarnation. We read The Power and the Glory by Graham Green who writes with a sense of God’s redemptive movements. We even read Shusaku Endo’s The Samurai. A book in which the author places the terrible persecution of Christians in Japan in the seventeenth century into story form.

In that story Christ is pictured as the one who comes alongside of us. Yet Jesus Christ as coming King, ending history with his glorified, resurrected presence is not found in that excellent book. Jesus in his humanity without his identity as the One who is begotten of the Father is less than good news.

The other books we read failed in so many ways as far as offering a redemptive/transcendent theme that could truly touch our brokenness. Some were classics like Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston, and some were new novels such as House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende. But they were either set in a materialistic world, the Hurston book, or set in a materialistic world endued with a naturalistic occultism, the Allende book.

Another writer, Paule Marshall, author of The Chosen Place, The Timeless People, reverses many biblical themes as she under girds her novel with a kind of liberation ideology which is rooted in people. This story offers no transcendent Lord entering the material world in order to redeem humanity. Redemptive stories laced only with human experience give us nothing but unredeemed human experience.

For a Christian redemptive themes need to come from a place outside our reference point, out side of our humanity; they must reach down and take hold of our humanity. Like the Incarnation, God taking on humanity in order to lift us up to Him, the great exchange as Calvin and others have called it.

This is all to write that since I mentioned, in the comments section, Debbie Berkley’s article on The Lord Of the Rings but did not properly link to it, I want to do so now. I will give the reader a taste here:
"The times we live in

Near the beginning of the story, Gandalf, a wise and good wizard, is speaking with Frodo, a hobbit (a human-like creature, but only half our size.) Gandalf has just told Frodo some very distressing news about imminent danger to their world, Middle-earth.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."I certainly feel the way Frodo does, about our world today! For example, I'm sure we all wish that the events of September 11 had never happened. I wish that the issue of gay marriage were not being pushed in our society. I wish that Christianity were respected in our society the way it used to be, so that, at my very secular workplace, for instance, I didn't have to be constantly on the defensive as a Christian. There are so many things that I wish need not have happened in my time. "
The Article What I Found in The Lord of the Rings by Deborah Milam Berkley

11 comments:

Dave Moody said...

Beautiful words Vi. Thanks. One of my Hebrew prof's at Regent commented (I think, its been a while) that often times Fiction is the literature which is most true.

Peterson encouraged us to read, re-read and re-re-read Dostoyevsky (sp?). Can't say I've taken him up on it... but its never too late to make a beginning.

grace,
dm

Viola Larson said...

Thanks Dave,
I have read Dostoyevsky's "Crime and Punishment," but have started "The Brothers Karamazov" several times without finishing it. I'm not sure why. And you are right its never too late so maybe...

Dave Moody said...

you know, of all the inklings, I've actually found Williams to be one of my favorites. When I understand Williams, that is. Lewis is so quotable and insightful, but Williams, he paints a picture of reality that is- well- enchanted, and enchanting.

All that to say, I like your quote under the sheep picture.

grace,
dm

Viola Larson said...

Yes, and isn't that part of the beauty of his stories you can't understand everything. I like the way he takes Plato's "forms" and weaves them into Christian themes in "The Place of the Lion." C.S. Lewis said he liked that story of Williams best of all.

Wanders said...

Thanks for sharing your words with me. One of my greatest memories is taking that train from the Bay Area to Sacramento with Maggie when she was about three. Just the two of us to see the train museum. What a great day that was for me, though long since forgotten by her.

And I continue to be touched by Tolkien's words as quoted. I suppose that is what the Lord expects of each of us. And when we try to do our best, His grace magnifies our efforts. There are still many voices for good in the world. Yours is clearly one.

Viola Larson said...

Hi Wanders,
I hope its not too many more years before we see you and yours. Thanks for your kind words.
Aunt Viola

Bill Crawford said...

Viola,

In seminary I took Bob Shelton's final preaching class before his retirment. One of the key things I learned from him was to study the "keen observers of life". For him one of the best was Willie Nelson, for me it has been Johnny Cash.

Lewis and Tolkien also represent this to me although I think their literature harken to a more clear cut vision of good vs. evil than many appreciate today.

The thing about Dosteovsky (for me) is that the Russian authors in general and he in particular paint such a depressing picture of reality. I too took up Dostoevsky at Peterson's urging - I found it far too melancholy.

Dave Moody said...

I think its hard to be an optimistic Russian. History, and all that. They can teach us to suffer well, though...

I picked up, "War in Heaven" by Williams, this weekend. Inspired by you Viola. Gracias!

dm

Viola Larson said...

Bayou,
I like Johnny Cash too. I grew up with nothing but country music. As a teenager I set my parents teeth on edge by listening to Hindu sitar music and classical music. We all have to rebel some way. But now I do like old-time country and Johnny Cash in particular. Cash is a keen obsever of life.

I think we have some deep things to learn from Russian writers because they do have that depressive atmosphere about them. But that also makes it hard to get through them. Amazingly the good Russian writers all seem, at least to me, to have a strong desire, a longing perhaps, for freedom. But I really like Solzhenitsyn best.

Dave, I have read all but one of William's books, but I can't remember what that one is about although I know I have read it. Now I will be trying to remember it all day.

Dave Moody said...

The Holy Grail or 'Graal' as Williams writes. I've only read three, "Place of the Lion", War in Heaven and .. hmm, can't remember the title of the last one. Also, I've got "the descent of the dove" and have started it... but, well, I find Lautorette and Neil and Mofatt and Gonzales, even Pelikan, a bit easier going in church history.

I agree with you in theory with the Russians. Although, like Bill, in practice I don't have the discipline to slog through. Although Solzy's, "Gulag Archipelago" was very formative in my undergrad yrs. I didn't know it at the time, but in hindsight it was.

grace,
dm

Viola Larson said...

I still can’t remember, except the Holy Grail as part of one of his stories sounds familiar.
Although I have the "Gulag Archipelago" I haven't read it. I need to take a year off from everything and catch up on my reading!