Saturday, July 25, 2026

Some small thoughts on the correspondents dinner and President Trump

 I watched the Correspondents dinner last night and it left me having great sorrow for President Trump. There was an excellent documentary about the history of and what it means to have freedom of the press. I had hoped that the president really listened and understood the documentary. After that there were awards to reporters; I wondered what Trump was thinking as most of those awards were for articles about some problem with the presidency. He gave funny smiles and in some cases threw up his hands. and then it was time for him to speak. I don't think that he knows what it is to roast people, using satire. His speech was an hour long and filled with awful insults that were simply not funny. I realized that he has no ability to make jokes about others, only insults; and given his now seeming mental problems it was hard for him to stay on subject. I don't know if it is some kind of dementia or something else. But what I saw was a very broken confused man who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I truly felt sorry for him.


No comments: