Saturday, September 28, 2024

Once Again: Listening to Scripture While Wolves Are Howling

I listened to some wolves today. I thought about some wolves today. I grieved for the Church today because of too many wolves preying on the sheep. 

Today I listened to a video where Roseanne Barr told Tucker Carlson that the Democrats kill and eat children and drink their blood. I was reminded today in a video of Tucker Carlson hosting and praising a Nazi historian.

 I also listened to the New Apostolic Reformation and Maga Pastor Lance Wallnau say of Kamala Harris that when dealing with her you are dealing with a Jezebel spirit. There is no redemption, no words of Jesus love for sinners. Wallnau continued: “What’s accomplished was she can look presidential…that’s the seduction of witchcraft. That’s the manipulation of imagery that creates an impression contrary to the truth but it seduces you into seeing—so that spirit, that occult spirit I believe is operating on her and through her—similar to Obama that there’s a kind of angel of light, charisma you can see…the good news of that we’re going to go full tilt Pentecostal—Jezebel may be the spirit you’re up against, but then Trump has like an Elijah mantal on him probably from the intercession of a million Christians …we’ve got to lean into this thing because the Elijah mantal can break the spell of witchcraft off America.” 

I was thinking of all of this while reading a posting I wrote in 2008 which began with a Willa Cather story which included a scary story about Russian wolves eating a whole wedding party. I am going to include the end of that posting because it speaks to the Church of the warning, comfort and promises of Jesus about wolves and our faithfulness.

 “Often the Scripture uses such images. Jesus sends his disciples out into a world of wolves far more dangerous than those found on a nineteenth century Russian hilltop. “Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves.” (Matt 10:16) And then Jesus goes on warn his disciples of coming suffering: “It is enough for the disciple that he become like his teacher, and the slave like his master. If they have called the head of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign the members of his household! (25) He comforts with promises of his care, “But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.” (30-31) 

 Jesus encourages the disciple’s witness among the wolves so that the wolves might become sheep, “Therefore everyone who confesses me before men, I will also confess him before my Father in heaven.” (32) And he challenges them to courageous discipleship, “And he who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for my sake will find it.” (38-39) 

 Paul was later to warn that wolves would enter the Church tearing and rending the sheep. They would draw them away into strange teaching, perhaps into antinomianism as a means of seducing them. “Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which he purchased with his own blood. I know that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves men will arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after them.” (Acts 20:28-30) 

 We have no faithless sleigh driver, but instead the Lord who gave his life on the cross. This is his promise: 
“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me; and I give eternal life to them and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of my hand.” (John 10:27-28) So though you barely hear the first howl, or there be hundreds of savage wolves on dark hills, Christ is Lord of his Church and King of tomorrow.

 
Naming His Grace: Listening to Scripture while Wolves are howling

No comments: