Sunday, September 14, 2008

Christian Blogging About the Election: Up-Date!

See bottom of this post for up-date:

I don't usually do postings or write on political issues especially not on elections of the President of the United States. But after reading several blogs that hold my interest and thinking hard about it I have decided to do a post with a few links about the election.

The reason I am doing this is because of such issues as fairness, integrity and a Christian's attitude about politics in America. First of all to be up front about it, I am a Democrat who usually votes pro-life if it is possible to do so. And just to show you how adamant I am about integrity and fairness I will tell a funny story on myself.

Quite a few years ago, with the usual happening in California, a governor's race with no pro-life candidate, I noticed that one of the pro-life groups was pushing a candidate who was connected to David Duke's (read neo-Nazi) party. They of course didn't know the particulars, but because I write on racist issues I did, and called and told them so. It was too late; they had already published and couldn't retract. I called the Sacramento Bee who sent someone to my house to pick up materials I had on the subject.

But the out-come was that it was simply someone who writes a column who was interested. And she was interested in what I had said, not my information on a bad candidate. What did I say, "I am so discouraged I think I am going to write-in Mother Teresa's name for Governor." So the next day in the paper in the column were my words about writing in Mother Teresa's name. And on voting day one of my daughters heard a voting worker say "have you noticed anyone writing in Mother Teresa's name yet." I hope the volunteers weren't looking! (And I won't tell if I did or not.)

So this is about Christian blogs and some of their political thoughts. The first blog is an official blog for the PCUSA. It is the National Network Of Presbyterian College Women. It is Network Notes. Noelle Tennis Gulden, the staff person for the college women, has written this particular post and it is about Sarah Palin. The post is Weighing in on Palin

The post bothered me but mostly because of the article Ms Gulden linked to. The article was written by Mary Hunt a radical Catholic feminist who was neither kind nor honest about the new Vice-Presidential Candidate.

There are interesting comments including Ms Gulden's explanation of why she linked to the article. ( I must admit that I am also concerned because this is an official blog and I know that there are Presbyterian college women who are Republican and/or at least tend to vote that way and might be discouraged about finding themselves on the outside of the NNPCW.) I also commented and I must confess I was somewhat upset when I did, so I apologize if I am too strident in my comments.

There are two other blogs I have linked to. They are both Southern Baptist Pastors and given their conservatism I believe they are two of the most gracious postings on the election I have read.

The first is by Thabiti Anyabwile who pastors in the Cayman Islands. His blog is Pure Church. The title of his post is " A Proposal for Christian Bloggers Interested in Politics" at A Proposal for Christian Bloggers Interested in Po...
Anyabwile's proposal is that Christian bloggers make their pick of who they will vote for and then blog about them whenever they are dishonest or unkind to their opponent. Here are a few of his words:

"Well... it's happened. We all knew that it would. The national campaign for president has taken a nasty turn. For the first time in years, we had two candidates that looked as if they might fulfill their promise of a race with integrity and some measure of cleanliness. Well, okay, that was a brief and fleeting moment as both candidates tried and usually did take relatively high ground during the primaries."

The next is by a Pastor in Boulder Colorado, Scott Kelly. His blog is Views from the Grass. He has two postings that are very helpful. One is on Sen. Barack Obama and his book The Audacity of Hope. At Book Review: Audacity of Hope you will find a fair assessment with both kind words for Obama and words of disagreement. He begins with this:

"For the first time, a non-white person has a reasonable chance of becoming the next President of the United States of America. At long last, one of the major political parties in this country has nominated an African-American. Praise God!"

The second posting is about Sen. McCain and Sarah Palin. It can be found here: Thought on McCain/Palin '08. This posting also has a fair assessment and words of disagreement. And this is how Kelly begins:

"For the first time, a woman has a reasonable chance of becoming the next Vice-President of the United States of America. At long last, the Republican party has nominated a woman. Praise God!"

So I am hoping that all Christian bloggers will write with political and Christian integrity about the candidates and the issues. Because presidents come and go but Jesus Christ is king forever.

Up-date: Ms Gulden of Network Notes has removed her posting about Sarah Palin and the new one Who's Looking Out for Michelle? I thank her for doing so!

6 comments:

obsessiveskier said...

Thanks for linking to my post! Thanks even more for reading my thoughts about the election!!! Let's pray for our country, and for even more renewal and reformation in our churches! Yours in Christ, Scott Kelly

Viola Larson said...

Thanks for commenting obsessiveskier. I agree more prayer for both renewal and the elections.

Jim Jordan said...

What happens when a Christian serendipitously finds that either the Right or the Left have the answers to everything from Genesis to Revelation?
A rat is rotting somewhere under our noses.

Viola Larson said...

That is true Jim, then a political party starts being equated with God's revelation.

Noelle said...

Hi Viola,

Thanks again for this conversation, and for linking to my blog.

NNPCW is a wonderfully diverse organization, and I know for a fact that there are women in the organization who vote Republican. I, too, hope that they do not find themselves on the outside of NNPCW, and I wrote my post and my comment with that hope in mind.

I have voted Republican in the past, and wrote my blog not to promote the Democratic party (or it's current ticket), but to examine Sarah Palin (the only woman in the race, who happens to be the Republican VP candidate) from a feminist perspective--my feminist perspective.

One of the goals of NNPCW is to network and build relationships across difference. Part of this is learning how to dialogue with one another about difficult issues even as we unite to carry out our mission of "seeking a Christian faith that empowers women." It's a difficult and sometimes daunting task (and we don't always get it right), but it is a worthwhile endeavor.

Many blessings,
Noelle

Viola Larson said...

Noelle,
Thank you for responding. I have put most of my thoughts in the comment section of your latest post, Who's Looking Out for Michelle?

But here I have to say if you are trying to work toward a diverse organization you might want to include some opinions from those who disagree with your social positions on abortion, etc.