Thursday, February 28, 2008

A Tag and a Response Way Beyond the Call of Duty!!




At first I said no--I'm not going to do this; I don't like chain letters which this is. But then my ego kicked in---so! The Rev. David Fischler over at Reformed Pastor tagged me. I am to list six unimportant things and /or quirks about myself. And my ego has kicked in, so, well, I have pictures!!!


1. From the 2nd grade to the 5th I went to country school. Pilot Nob was a one room school house and I was the only one in my grade.


2.When my husband to be, Brad, met me, I was working as a telephone operator and at the time they still used the boards with plug-ins. He was a telegraph operator. We met at Church.


3. I like stout, mainly oatmeal stout or double chocolate.


4. I once played a harem girl in a production of "The Passion Play" when it stopped in Stockton California as it toured the United States. That was when I was in high school.


5. I won the philosophy essay contest at the California State University in Sacramento in my Junior year in 1988. My essay was entitled " Plato's Four Concepts of Soul in the Phaedo.


6. This is a rather long one. One of the best vacations I ever took was when my husband went to England with the Community choir he sang with in Marysville, California. I didn't want to go on a plane with a whole load of choir people who would probably hit the ground running. (Not stop to sleep) Instead ,I took another plane landed at a different airport in a different city and slept before moving on. I met my husband and the choir in Avon where he spent the night and saw a play with me, Ibsen's Peer Gynt. (He slept through most of the play.)


He went to Cambridge with the choir, I went to Oxford (with a fever) but stayed shopping at Blackwell's' bookstore for hours. I also went to the last of Oxford's proms (Musical competitions held every year and everywhere in England, most ending at Royal Albert Hall in London-- for an example see the movie "Brassed Off.") which ended with all kinds of fun things, like the choir members waving little British flags and singing Rule Britannica. I stayed in an inn which reminded me of a nineteenth century play about England. We then met and went to Wales and London together. A great vacation.
-
7. This is an extra; it is a newspaper account of the death of one of my great grandfathers, Henry Mertin Tilley. He blew himself up using dynamite when blowing up stumps. I had heard about his death all of my childhood, and accidentally found a newspaper account, which I had never seen, on the Internet. The way they wrote such notices in those days was certainly different than how we write today.
I will only tag a few people.
-
Melissa, my granddaughter at Libellus Stellatus.
-
Debbie Berkley at Taking The Ring
-














4 comments:

Chris Larimer said...

Is it the second young lady from the right? (Dark sweater and checkered dress?)

Viola Larson said...

No, that is my sister Janice, it is the smaller one in the checkered dress with the smock on.
Almost good guess.

Barb said...

Thanks for the tag viola. These lists help me when I'm running dry with blog ideas. Although this one...well I don't think I'm very quirky, but definitely uninteresting - so much so I don't know what would be interesting to write!

Viola Larson said...

Barb, It wasn't suppose to be about six uninteresting things but six unimportant things. And I think you are a very interesting and gutsy person for that matter. I didn't think I was quirky either but after looking at what I wrote maybe?