Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Sweetness of Gathering to the Vine

The sweetness of gathering to the wine
is claimed by children resting in a tree
whose root became the food within the vine.
These, childlike made, they bless the cup and dine
upon the fleshy food they cannot see,
and drink the holy bloody wine.
Like sibling children fighting in a line,
who later laugh when by the bell set free,
these happy ones are laughing in the vine.
And raging gods whose deeds their shape confine
have called for war, whose very end shall be
determined by the drinking of the wine.
Go death to death, the children life define;
now blood of saints and Christ's good blood agree
the holy life is living in the vine.
If nails be sharp pursuing flesh to pine,
and wooden burdens bend and bruise the knee,
feast on the broken flesh, drink up the wine;
hold fast the fellowship within the vine.

3 comments:

Chris Larimer said...

I'm glad to see you posting!

The classic in the field is J. W. Nevin's The Mystical Presence, which has received some attention in recent years. I really want to commend to you Brian Gerrish's book Grace and Gratitude which is a very helpful treatment of Calvin's Eucharistic thought. (Given for You by Mathison is good, but less scholarly and bit more polemic.) Also, Martha Moore-Keish of Columbia Sem. wrote her dissertation on theology and practice of communion within Reformed churches - quite good.

I wrote a paper on this in seminary that I'd be glad to put at your disposal.

SDG, Chris

Viola Larson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Viola Larson said...

Hi Chris,
I just returned from the coast and a mini vacation. Thanks for commenting, I am excited to look up your references. I just finished a very long article on the sacraments according to Calvin's Institutes for Theology Matters which will appear sometime in Sept or OCT. I am not sure of the dates. I would love to see your paper.
I wrote this poem a long time ago, and I was looking for something fast to paste into my blog. I don't know don't how well I will keep up with this.