Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A friend now with the Lord

A friend, to me and many others, Robert Campbell, Pastor of Tully Memorial Presbyterian Church, went to be with the Lord on July 9, 2011. He was someone who often visited my blog and added important information with all of the words he wrote. He was a friend indeed. Here is his obituary: Robert Campbell and here is his blog if anyone wants to read some of his posts, pastor bob's musings

Last night I discovered that he had died when I saw that someone was looking for his obituary on my feed. I was in such shock that I did not add much to my posting. I want to add a little more this morning.

I first met Bob writing comments on another pastor’s blog. Several years ago he sent me his e-mail through a friend asking to correspond. He was just troubled by what was happening in the church and wanted to talk about the problems we were facing. Bob was concerned because other evangelicals were leaving and he believed we would lose a lot because of that. He was of course right about that, but as usual he was not angry at the evangelicals just sad.


Above all he was a kind person. When comments on my blog were particularly harsh and painful to me and toward me, he sent me an e-mail and pointed me toward a video he had just posted. I will post it at the end of this-because it is so typical of “Pastor Bob.”


One thing I could count on, when I posted about anti-Semitism, Bob was always right there with me standing against its ugliness in the church.


Here is the video- on his posting "Some Thoughts on Disagreement."




3 comments:

Kattie said...

I'll miss him. I valued the discussions I had with him, and considered his to be a rational voice amongst much noise. He understood true orthodoxy, provided a rare and welcome bridge across the theological divide of nonessentials, and in my mind was a shining example of what it means to be Presbyterian. I was planning on visiting him the next time I was in Philly in order to learn more about him and of his experiences with the multicultural church. He reminded me a lot of my own pastor here in Huntsville, and I recently remarked to my pastor that he should get to know Bob.

Rest in Peace Bob.

Kattie
Huntsville, Al

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I can't believe it. Thank you for posting this, Viola.

As Kattie said, rest in Peace, Bob Campbell.

John Erthein
DeFuniak Springs, FL

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear that. Bob was a man of great wisdom. He will be missed.

David Fischler
Woodbridge, VA