Thursday, October 27, 2011

Rich Mullins & the Ragamuffin Band-and a verse from Psalm 23

Have you ever had God drop a Scripture text into your heart and mind unexpectedly? Just as our plane was landing coming home from the fellowship gathering, this summer, a verse from Psalm 23 dropped into my mind and I couldn’t wait to get home and do a study on it. The verse, “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.” There is more to that verse but that is what God dropped into my heart. I wrote a posting on that verse and my study, A table prepared by the Lord.

Today someone mentioned and linked to a song by Rich Mullins. It was a beautiful song and I listened, but as I was listening I noticed another video of Rich Mullins which was a whole concert with both him and the Ragamuffin Band. I had never heard of Rich Mullins until my daughter Penny told me of her grief that he had been killed in a car accident. Then I found that another daughter, Jenny also was deeply grieved over his death. His music is beautiful.

But the fun thing for me is that in this concert two friends that used to come and visit me every so often when I was doing apologetics in the ARC office at Warehouse Ministries are a part of the Ragamuffin Band. I haven’t heard Jim Abegg or Aaron Smith play for many years. But returning to my original theme “a table prepared by the Lord” and that in the presence of my enemies, God through this beautiful and joyous concert reminded me of all of his many blessings.

I am thinking of all blessings, family, friends now and yesterday, of Jesus’ presence in the midst of many trials, now and yesterday, of his promise to come again. His tender care of all of his children, the Church. His word that lights our way. This is the table He spreads for me and for all of you as you walk with him in the presence of enemies.

I am posting the video here. It is almost an hour long, but please listen, you will be blessed. You will know who Jim Abegg is when he sings about a dream. Aaron Smith is the fantastic drummer.

No comments: