Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Yes, Spong, the battle is over, the victory has been won



Yes, “The battle is over. The victory has been won,” just as John Shelby Spong insists in his manifesto.

Oh, I know Spong is writing about the battle that homosexuals are involved in, which includes their attempts to be allowed ordination in the Church. And I know that when Episcopalian Spong calls orthodox Christians “pathetic human beings,” and Executive Director of More Light, Michael Adee, calls our stance homophobia, while Presbyterian John Shuck calls us chicken shits, there is no true victory for them. Except … except in the one they are running so fearfully from.

The Hound of Heaven

I fled Him, down the nights and down the days;
I fled Him, down the arches of the years;
I fled Him, down the labyrinthine ways
Of my own mind; and in the mist of tears
I hid from Him, and under running laughter.
Up vistaed hopes I sped;
And shot, precipitated,
Adown Titanic glooms of chasmèd fears,
From those strong Feet that followed, followed after.
But with unhurrying chase,
And unperturbèd pace,
Deliberate speed, majestic instancy,
They beat -- and a voice beat
More instant than the Feet --
"All things betray thee, who betrayest Me."

One of my recent morning devotions included Luke 12:49-53. I was so interested in this text that I got out what commentaries I have to understand the text better. After all we always think of Christianity, the good news, bringing us peace. But this text does not promise peace but rather division. Jesus states, “Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division…”

Jesus goes on to explain that family members will be against those who choose to follow him. But before this Jesus tells his disciples that he has come to cast fire on the earth and that he is anxious for it to be “kindled.” He likewise speaks of a baptism he is to endure and he is “distressed” until it is done.

The baptism and the fire are interlocked. They are both about forgiveness and judgment. The baptism, for Jesus, in this instance is the crucifixion. The fire is the cleansing and judgement of the Holy Spirit. (John 16: 7-11) E. Earle Ellis in The New Century Bible Commentary: The Gospel of Luke puts it this way:

“Christians, Luke implies, can understand their life in the world only in the context of this prophecy of the Lord. Although Jesus’ followers have the messianic peace, ‘peace on earth’ does not exist …. The time of the Church is a time when the Spirit of the absent Lord, like a burning fire, will accomplish his work of judgment in the hearts of men. In the mission of the Church, no less than in the pre-resurrection of the heart of Jesus, the call for decision is a call for ‘division.’ And the demand of the kingdom is such that this division will reach into the most intimate personal relationships, into ‘one house.”

And every time that division turns up, every time there is anger, insult and defiance of God’s word, Christians can be aware of two things.

First, God’s victory over the world, the flesh and the devil has already occurred because of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Second the promised fire of the Holy Spirit is touching the lives of humanity in either a cleansing manner or a judging manner. The Holy Spirit when touching individuals with the truths of his word, which is the word of the Father and the Son, is either causing them to turn away from the transforming power of Christ or causing them to turn in repentance to their Lord.

There is division. It is a promise.

But above all else there is a victory. It is the victory of Christ bought on the cross. It will transform the sinner, be they liar or practicing homosexual, be they adulterer or thief, be they gossip or murderer. But rejection of the saving and transforming power of Jesus Christ can only end in defeat for the sinner.

There is victory, His victory, his gift of love.

Picture by Stephen Larson
Poem by Francis Thompson (1859-1907)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who are you??!!!

Dear Viola...you just amaze me.

velvel
(the nice wolf)

Chris Larimer said...

I've had Palestrina's "The Strife is O'er" running through my mind ever since he posted that puff piece. It affirms one of the central dogmas of the faith that he denies.

Viola Larson said...

Chris, why don't you place that song on your site then I can listen to it: )

Thanks Velvel

I just could resist that line in the manifesto about the battle being over. And when others start insulting Christians well...you know-they need Jesus.

Unknown said...

And we care what Spong thinks because? He has never impressed me as a theologian.

Viola Larson said...

Nor me at all. So why is More Light Presbyterians so excited about his manifesto?

Unknown said...

I don't know. There are much better advocates for MLP's positions than Spong. I would take Bruggemann any day of the week over Spong.

Debbie said...

Why is MLP so excited about Spong's manifesto? Well, because MLP's theology is so great! Sorry, couldn't resist the sarcasm.

I think Spong and Shuck are both better off ignored. If you respond to Shuck, he just gets more outrageous, and he seems to delight in calling names and using bad language. So why bother to undergo that? We won't change his mind, although I pray that God, yes that God that Shuck disrepects, will in his sovereignty.

Chris, we used to sing "The Strife is O'er" every Easter in the Episcopal church that I grew up in, and it was my dad's favorite Easter hymn. I haven't sung it for the 36 years that I've been Presbyterian, and I miss it.

Wow, the characters I have to type to get my comment on here include an umlauted character. Good thing I work in a language group at Microsoft!

Chris Larimer said...

You know I just can't resist the ladies. So here ya go!

Viola Larson said...

I agree, Bob, Bruggemann, would be a better way to go.

Debbie this was kind of a mix. I wanted to sort out my own thoughts. And the first part is in a way aimed at those in apostasy. But the last part and really most is for those who love Jesus.

Chris, I left you a comment-thanks so much for the music.

Viola Larson said...

Another thought Debbie, I really feel sorry for those guys, they are so far away from the Lord. When you do away with the good news of Jesus you have no place to go.

Rev Dave said...

"The Strife is O'er" is in the Presbyterian hymnal, #119, if you have one. Not the most sung song on Easter morning, I'll grant, but if you happen to attend a church that celebrates the Easter Season, maybe you could agitate for its inclusion in worship sometime.

Viola Larson said...

Thanks Dave,
We have that at home, (my husband collects hymnals) but not at Church.

Anonymous said...

Viola, I was hoping someone would post on this. When I read this arrogant bit of Spong-spew, I was rendered absolutely speechless.

Viola Larson said...

Hi Fred-I just couldn't keep from it: )

John Shuck said...

Dear Viola,

For the record, I didn't call you a chicken shit. "Chicken shits" is the moniker reserved for those who actually are in favor of justice for LGBT people in the church and in society, but because they are afraid for their position, or are afraid that they will lose members, or are afraid what the neighbors will say, or afraid that conservatives won't like them anymore, or afraid that _________________ etc. etc.

they actually stall and sometimes even work against the process.

You my friend, are certainly no chicken shit. You are clearly the opposition!

Blessings,
John Shuck
Elizabethton, TN

Presbyman said...

Dang it, this is one of those times I kind of agree with John Shuck. Not that I'd use the same words ... but I've always wondered about people who think that gay ordination should ideally be allowed as a matter of justice and morality, but think preserving the insitutional unity of a small and shrinking denomination is more important.

It doesn't make sense to me, either. Personally, I don't think institutional unity is terribly important in the larger scheme of things.

John Erthein
Erie, PA